Aberdeen and Shire Hillwalking Club

The Aberdeen and Shire Hillwalking Club is not required to have a dedicated Child Protection Policy as the club does not allow unaccompanied minors to attend events. However, protecting children is the responsibility of every member of the community, not just child protection services. If you have any concerns about the safety of a child at any time please contact either the local social work service or Police Scotland to speak to someone, seek help or pass on information or concerns.

All 32 local authorities in Scotland have an emergency out of hours social work service. Services are available through the night and at weekends.

For example – if you Google ‘Aberdeenshire Council Child Protection’ you will see the following message:


Report child protection concern

If you are worried that a child or young person is at risk or is being abused contact us:

• Monday to Friday during office hours contact 01467 537111

• Evenings and weekends call the out of hours service on 03456 08 12 06

Phone 999 if the child is at immediate risk. Call the police on 101 if you think a crime has been committed.



Whether you call the Police or an out of hours social work number you will initially speak to a call handler. 

It is important to say that you have a child protection concern at the start of the call.

What the agency you have phoned would like to know

The agency you report to will ask you for as much information as possible.

The kind of thing they might want to know is:

• Why you are concerned?
• Is the child in immediate danger? 
• Location of the incident and of the child at the time of the call.
• Are there other children who may be at risk? 
• Child’s name, age, date of birth and address.
• Names of any adults who have care of the child.
• Who you think has harmed, or might harm, the child and when it may have happened?

Having partial information should not deter you from calling.

Make a free website with Yola